My friend Jessica, just opened her own shop on Etsy! It is called "Sew Patched Up". She sews a variety of fun and modern quilts, crafts, purses, iPad cases, and other creative projects. I love her sense of style and color! She does take on custom orders.
Oh! So excited! Got my Urban Mod today from a wonderful etsy shop! I am in love! This will be put away until June though. : ( I have been sewing all day and have gotten a lot done! Will post pics of finished projects later.
It's here! I got mine last week but my overused tendons in my right arm kept me from sewing anything. : (. Tonight, I couldn't stand it anymore, I had to try to sew something! So I did. Big, black arm brace and all. Here is The book and Block #1. Instead of Tula Pink fabrics, I used Architextures by Carolyn Friedlander along with the solids that match that line. I like how it looks!
For all you Fearless Fabric Fiends, here is a Tula Pink Quilt Along that goes with her new book:
I will be away from blogging and sewing for a little while. : ( I have something called "intersection syndrome" or tendonitis of my right forearm. It needs rest, ice, compression, and elevation to get better. I think a combo of FMQ'ing and pulling lots of weeds did me in! (Note to self: don't pull weeds!)
Okay, here is what I decided to make with two fat quarters of Glimma canvas along with plain cotton canvas lining...it is a mix of a few bags that I like including one I bought from a brand name purse retailer.
This is for those times when my regular sized purse (which is rather large!) just won't do.
My dear husband brought in a package yesterday for me from Pink Chalk Fabrics! Yeah! It had the canvas fat quarters from Glimma, some linen fabric and a few other things, like thread in it. Oh, it's like Christmas!
Plan on making a clutch with a couple of the fat quarters. There is a great Moda recipe here:
Zakka Style compiled by Rashida Coleman-Hale - Some very cool stuff to make in this book! I plan on making some nesting boxes for my sewing room along with redoing my cork board.
No, I won't post a pic of every block for this quilt, I promise. Here is Block #1. (The picture doesn't do the green fabric justice.). Lots of cutting so I used my AccuQuilt Go! with the correct sized dies. Lots of piecing, points, matching, too. The block is big, 24.5" x 24.5". This quilt is going on our bed. I decided on grey instead of white because our doggies sleep on the bed with us. So do our kitties. (No, the birds sleep in their cage!) I machine wash and dry all my quilts. They get softer with use and I want my quilts to be used!
This morning I made two minky covered hot/cold packs for the office. I made the minky covers with Velcro openings so they can be removed and washed. The inside is made with muslin and has rice with a small amount of lavender and mint crystals inside. Microwave for heat (30 seconds to 1 minute depending on microwave wattage) and freeze the inside for cold.
I embroidered the other side with our office name and phone number. I used nylon cutaway stabilizer and a heat removable topping. The size is about 4.5 " x 10". (One bag of 16 oz., inexpensive rice.)
Yesterday, I got the grey background fabric to make my king sized Good Fortune quilt. (Overly ambitious? FMQ it myself on my machine or send it out to be done? Hmmmmmm.). I am going to use Camille Roskelley's Swoon block pattern. Those blocks are 24 1/2" x 24 1/2" unfinished and it will take only 16 blocks plus borders for a king size quilt. Each block uses two fat quarters plus the solid background.
I usually work on a couple of quilts at a time. They are in different stages - one is being cut and pieced while the other has been sandwiched and is ready for the free motion quilting. Oh! and then there's the one all done except for the binding being hand sewn down. (Not to mention the ones I'm planning in my head!)
Here is where I am at with my Tend the Earth Quilt. The pattern is Piece of Cake 3 by Camille Roskelley.
I finished this for my Granddaughter Stella and will get it in the mail tomorrow. The Ruffled Pinafore pattern I used is from Little Lizard King @ www.littlelizardking.com. The diaper cover pattern is Too Cute to Boot by Ellie Mae Designs.
When I piece, I like to use my single hole stitch plate along with my 1/4" foot. I move the needle over to the right 1x to get a scant 1/4" seam. The single hole stitch plate helps to keep my machine from "eating" those starting corners.
I clean out the bobbin area with this soft, child's paint brush. It picks up the fuzzies!