Search This Blog

Monday, July 1, 2013

July Blocks of the Month

I really like doing BOM's - Blocks of the Month.  It gives me a whole month to finish one block.  There are different blocks every month, usually something I haven't done yet.  Keeps it fresh, challenging and fun. 

Hop, Skip & Jump BOM, Block #2 with SewLuxFabric.com, Flickr Group:


I found this particular block quite challenging.  Had to use the seam ripper a few times.  It isn't perfect, but that's okay.  I love the Happy Go Lucky fabric line!

The next block I made is for our BOM swap with the Coastal Carolina Modern Quilt Guild.  We each pick 4 one yard cuts of fabric, put it in a unused pizza box, and swap it every month with another member.  We make our very first 12.5" unfinished block for ourselves.  At the end of the year, we get our pizza box back with our own and 11 different blocks made by those in our guild.  Fun!  I got my fabrics, all Sketch solids and made the first block.  Here it is:

 
 
I pressed all the seams open (which I don't usually do).  Matching seams is harder for me to do with pressed open seams.  I squared up each individual HST (half square triangle).  This helped and I think the block turned out great.  I am going through a phase of navy, pinwheels and stars.  Maybe it's not a phase?  Excited to see what the other guild members come up with for their first block!
 
I do have a finish from June that I can't post yet.  I love how it turned out!  It will be a gift and I hope she loves it!  Yes, I do want to keep it, but I can't keep every quilt I make!  I'd run out of room for more stash to make more quilts...  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment