Search This Blog

Saturday, May 3, 2014

More 2nd Q Finishes!

I am excited to share some finishes!  Today is such a gorgeous day here, that I took some photos outside.  I am so loving this weather!  It has been a long, dark, dreary, cold winter here in Eastern NC. (Pretty much everywhere else, too.  Except maybe, Arizona where my daughter, SIL and grandkids live.)

Remember those Glimma blocks from my Glimma obsession days?  Here is where they ended up:

 Yes, in a hammock.  Seriously, in a table runner that will go on the coffee table in our family room.

When I bought my long arm machine (which I love!), I also purchased the computer to do perfect, digital patterns on quilts.  Love that!  Well worth the investment, especially when quilting quilts for hire.  But my own free motion quilting skills have gone downhill - not that they were that good to start with.  So I have made the commitment to only do free motion quilting on MY stuff.  I have a big case of FEAR about doing that but it is something I am going to push past.  So here is a close up of the pattern I did free hand on the runner.  Not perfect, but keeping it real.

Another close up.

 And a picture of the back.

 Here is a close up of the binding I did by machine.  Not my usual choice but that is another skill I need to work on.  Love the look of hand stitched binding but that is very time consuming.  After reading a few blogs that I follow, I tried using my dual feed feet that I have with my machine (Bernina 830LE), turning the foot pressure to a negative 10, (yes -10), and moving the needle position.  Going slow helped too.

The rest of the blocks ended up in here.  A nice sized table topper to go on our kitchen table.  (Where I used to sew before turning a guest room into my sewing room.)



A close up of how I quilted this one.  Point to point, loopy, straight (snort) line, and stitch in the ditch. Certainly not perfect!

The back.

Last, but certainly not least, is the Sew Lux Fabric Anniversary BOM kit that is finished!  This one will be hung in my sewing room that used to be a guest room!  The embroidery is from Urban Threads which is one of my most favorite places to get unique embroidery patterns.  Urban Threads even has some Tula Pink embroidery designs.

 Again, that is my own free motion quilting.  I did straight (hah!) line quilting, stitch in the ditch, swirls, and meandering on this one.  I used a 100% cotton batting and the shrinkage is higher than the other two which are a 70/30% blend.  I do like 100% cotton the best!

The backing is a fun line from Timeless Treasures and can be found at Hawthorne Threads.

Oh, and my one year blogging anniversary came and went in April.  I need to look back and count all my finishes!

Now, I am going to move my sewing machine out to the screened in patio and work on a Kate Spain Terrain (LOVE!) quilt for a very special person!  Hope you make your day a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment