Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Craftsy Block of the Month June 2013

This year, I have signed up for 3 block of the month clubs (so far).  While this interrupts my quilting and sewing schedule (like I have one - Ha!), I have learned great skills from making each and every block! 

Here is a work around I did for the Craftsy BOM for June:


 


This is known as Lemon Star, Lemoyne Star (name on Craftsy although I didn't find that name in my Encyclopedia of Quilt Blocks), Idaho Star and a few others.  I wanted to see if I could take the pattern and make it with 1/2 square triangles, a few rectangles and a some squares.  I wondered if this would simplify the Y-seams.  Well, I am not sure if it was "simpler" or not...I haven't made the one actually taught on Craftsy.  ; )  I plan to!  I did simplify the cutting of this as I used my Accuquilt Go and the dies.  The size is also bigger than the one on Craftsy by 3/4".  Looking at the layout of the quilt, I can do a work around for the size difference.

I was born and grew up in Idaho and have been looking at making a quilt with the Idaho Star, Farmer's Daughter, Fourth of July and some other quilt blocks about my life.  That is one of the reasons I really wanted to see if the Idaho Star could be made several different ways.  It can, but I am not sure that the look is quite the same.

 
 
Here is where I pin my oversized blocks with the Lemon Star on top!  My finished Swoon blocks are there, my finished Sew Lux Hop Skip and Jump blocks are there along with some name tags and a favorite saying.  It is my happy wall!  Oh, and my sewing room gets the sun from the east.  It is a bright place to work in the mornings and that is usually where I can be found...


No comments:

Post a Comment